Northwestern now offers Blue Jeans, a free, cloud-based videoconferencing service that supports real-time, high-resolution videoconferencing and content sharing. All Northwestern students, faculty, and staff with a valid NetID are automatically given an account when first logging in to Blue Jeans.
Blue Jeans is currently piloting an integration into Canvas. Blue Jeans sessions can be scheduled from within your course site and automatically populate on the course calendar and notify your students. Some highlights of the Canvas integration include:
- Guest lecturers can be brought in from all over the world, by telephone or video, right from within your Canvas course site.
- Student study groups can meet over Blue Jeans, allowing added flexibility when trying to coordinate schedules.
- Professors can offer extended office hours to students when both parties typically may not be on campus.
Please contact Dan Hoefler if you are interested in using the Blue Jeans integration with your class.
Key Features and Benefits
In addition to videoconferencing, Blue Jeans offers audio conferencing, content sharing, and webinar capabilities. Some additional features and benefits are listed below:
- Intuitive interface.
- Allows up to 100 attendee endpoints to connect for a meeting.
- Supports high-resolution videoconferencing (720p), high-resolution content sharing (up to 1080p), and real-time video sharing.
- Live chat is available during meetings and can be recorded (unlimited storage in the cloud).
- End-to-end encrypted meetings are available.
First-time users will need to download the Blue Jeans plug-in when using a computer. Mobile users will need to download the Blue Jeans app from Google Play or the App Store. Instructions for how to schedule a meeting and how to attend a meeting are available in the IT Knowledge Base.
Sign up today!